Dear Raven 100k Challenge Participants,
Thank you for signing up and participating in the second annual Raven 100k Challenge this past November 2021.
Your distance, along with the badges you earned, is engraved in your custom woodallion which just finished up production on Friday and will be mailed out to you this coming week. If you want to see the badge descriptions, click here.
The second annual event was a success with 83 runners, hikers, and walkers ranging in age from 12 through 74. Click here for links to photos contributed by participants during the month.
Through this event — combined with the Raven Rocks 10k Run on November 14 — we raised $7,920 to date for the Friends of Trailside Museum and Ward Pound Ridge Reservation.
The Friends group supports the mission of education, conservation, and environmental action through the Trailside Museum and Ward Pound Ridge programs. If you haven’t yet joined as a member for 2022 you can still do it at https://runsignup.com/ravenrocks/donate through January 15, 2022. Membership makes a great gift too!
We are already looking forward to November 2022 for the 3rd Raven 100k Challenge – and the 7th Annual Raven Rocks 10k Trail Run. Mark your calendars for November 13, 2022!
Thanks again for your support. If you have any questions or need to get in touch, our email address in firstname.lastname@example.org.
Race Director, Raven 100k Challenge and Raven Rocks Run Trail Race
PS: Be sure to check the 2021 Raven 100k Challenge highlights below.
Some highlights from the Raven 100k Challenge include:
Longest distance covered and reported in November 2021
|Jacob Benesch – 1st overall male – 694.1k||Mary Rubini – 1st overall female – 330.4k|
|Peeter Muursepp – 2nd overall male – 676.9k||Mea Sgaglio – 2nd overall female – 326.6k|
|Wolfgang Klein – 3rd overall male – 354.1k||Andrea Mindell – 3rd overall female – 312.7k|
|Eugene Leeds – 4th overall male – 334.7k||Ana Hoffmann – 4th overall female – 300.4k|
|Paul Woolley – 5th overall male – 330.7k||Karen Haitoff – 5th overall female – 236.7k|
First to 100k Milestone in November 2021
|Jacob Benesch – 1st male to 100k (tie)||Mea Sgaglio – 1st female to 100k (tie)|
|Wolfgang Klein – 1st male to 100k (tie)||Andrea Mindell – 1st female to 100k (tie)|
|Peeter Muursepp – 3rd male to 100k||Ana Hoffmann – 3rd female to 100k|
- Number of 2021 participants: 83 total – 51 men, 32 women
- Total badge types: 16 unique badges
- Most total badge types possible for one person to earn in 2021: 14*
- Number of participants who earned the maximum number of 14 badges: 2
- Number of badges earned total: 394
- Most common badge earned: Bald Eagle badge (63 of 83)
- Second most common: Turkey badge (61 of 83)
- Least common badge earned: Peeter Badge (2 of 83),
- Second least common badges: Raven Rockstar Badge, Ultra Raven (both 3 of 83)
- Number of GPS challenge items hidden at the Rez: 40
- Number of GPS challenge badges earned: 35
- Number of GPS challenge items still hidden at the park: 5, we will be searching for them during an upcoming Sunday Run!
- 2021 Participant who completed the most Raven Rocks Run 10k courses: Peeter Muursepp (63 times around in 30 days! Peeter exceeded his 2020 effort of 32 Loops by 30 more!)
- Number of participants who reached 32 Raven Rocks 10k Loop courses completed in November 2021 required to earn the most difficult badge of all: The Peeter Badge: 2 of 83
- Note: if a participant exceeds 63 Raven Rocks courses in an upcoming year, the Peeter badge gets renamed for them… I don’t know if anyone will ever exceed the record on this, but I said that last year too not counting on Peeter to up the ante.
- New badge this year for participants who complete 5x Raven Rocks 10k Loop courses in a single day during November 2021: The Raven Rockstar Badge (3 awarded in 2021: Peeter Muursepp, Eugene Leeds, and let’s not forget Jacob Benesch – who achieved the Rockstar feat twice!).
- New badge suggestion from 2020 from participants incorporated into 2021 Challenge: Veteran’s Day “bonus star” badge (run, walk, or hike on 11/11) – 56 of 83 participants achieved this new badge!
- Other new badge ideas that challenge participants suggested include the Volunteer Badge and Raven2Raven badge (run the Raven Rocks courses at the Rez and Rockefeller Park in the same day). Also, the Coyote badge, Naked Raven badge, and Jose Cuervo badge. I still don’t know what the last three proposed badges entail, but I eagerly await the explanations. We are open to other badge suggestions as well – ravenrocksrun.org/contact-us
Next year we plan to have the 7th annual Raven Rocks Run 10k Trail Race at 9 a.m. on Sunday, November 13, 2022. We will also bring back the Raven 100k Challenge as well for a 3rd year. Anyone who signs up for both events at the same time will get a break on the dual registration. There also will be a super early (bird) raven discount when registration opens in early 2022.
Thanks again for being a part of this event!
*the Full Flock badge (10x on the course) supersedes the Ultra Raven badge (5x on the course) which supersedes the Raven Badge (1x on the course).
Check ravenrocksrun.org/photos for links to pictures (from this year and past years)of the Raven 100k Challenge and the Raven Rocks Run.