To: Everyone who is registered for the 2015 Raven Rocks Run:
Thanks for signing up to run the inaugural Raven Rocks Run at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. Race director Rob Cummings, his lovely wife Ciorsdan along with many dedicated volunteers have been working hard to set up the event.
Registration link is here if you have any more folks to sign up: https://ravenrocksrun.org/registration
Here are some tips that will help you on race morning:
1.) ARRIVE EARLY! The race is set to start at 9am. Please plan to arrive at the park by 8:15am — or even earlier if you can swing it. The regular $10 parking fee is already incorporated as part of the Raven Rocks entry fee so there is no need to stop and pay at the entry booth.
If the main lot should fill up, we may need to use our backup lot near the entrance to the park. This would mean about 1/4 mile walk for runners arriving late. Another reason to be early!
2.) DRIVE SLOWLY in the Park! Pay close attention to the staff and volunteers who are directing the parking. Car pool if you can – this helps the environment – and it makes the race more fun! For a helpful overview of the race location (parking, start, bib pickup), check the logistics page of the website here.
3.) LISTEN ATTENTIVELY TO PRE-RACE ANNOUNCEMENTS! Your Race Director will have important information about the course and safety. You will be instructed about potential hazards on the course and current course conditions.
4.) LISTEN FOR THE START! Following the instructions, we will have a special guest as our official starter. Then we will start the runners.
5.) STAY ON COURSE IF YOU CAN’T CONTINUE! There will be a number of “sweeps” running the course following the slower runners. If for any reason you can’t continue, wait for them to get to you to assess your needs. The park is over 4,300 acres so don’t leave the course unless you know exactly where you are going.
6.) ALL DOGS MUST BE LEASHED! If the dogs are running Raven Rocks they MUST START NEAR THE BACK with their humans! If you are running with your dog, please hold back at the start and be certain that your dog or its leash does not interfere with or impede any of the other runners. The county park law requires dogs be leashed at all times while in the park. This is for the safety of your dogs, other park patrons, and other dogs visiting.
7.) SAME DAY REGISTRATION – We will likely have same day registration available from 7:15-8:45am. Earlier is better. Online registration is even better! 😉 Cash or check only on race day please. Day of race registration is $45.
8.) RESULTS: Printed lists of finishers with time and place will be available soon after the finish at the registration area and by later in the afternoon on the Raven Rocks Run website. Check it out at https://ravenrocksrun.org/results.
9.) THANK A VOLUNTEER! A tremendous amount of volunteer effort goes into making the Loop a special event each year. T-shirt designers, registration volunteers, carpool helpers, pie buyers, course setters, trail wardens, box lifters, water servers, food preparers, coffee brewers, parking coordinators, photographers, videographers, course sweeps, and the clean-up crew—not to mention the Pound Ridge, Lewisboro, and Westchester County Police officers and the dedicated members of the Lewisboro Volunteer Ambulance Corps!
We are grateful that we have such a wonderful group of trail running enthusiasts (YOU!) to share this run with. We are also thankful that we have the thousands of acres of parkland at the Rez to enjoy!
The race proceeds will benefit the Friends of Trailside Museum and Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. Many runners have become members of the Friends group during registration – We thank you for joining! Volunteers from the Friends group will be there race morning to help cheer on runners, support the race, and have information about joining the Friends of Trailside Museum group.
Remember, leave only footprints, take only pictures, and please send us your photos via upload!
Good luck and have fun,
….Rob, Ciorsdan, and the rest of the Raven Rocks Run Volunteers!
PS: Some useful links…
• Map and Directions to the Reservation
• Map of the Raven Rocks Run course
• Follow Raven Rocks on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ravenrocksrun
• Searchable list of registered runners
• Run on the trails on Sundays all year round!
Next year’s Trail Mix races will include:
- Leatherman’s Loop 10k Trail Race (April) – Trail Mix Race #1
- A Mild Sprain 4.25M Trail Race (May) – Trail Mix Race #2
- Where the Pavement Ends 4.25M Trail Race (Sept) – Trail Mix Race #3
- Sarah Bishop Bushwhack 10k Trail Race (Sept) – Trail Mix Race #4
- Run The Farm 5M Trail Race (Oct) – Trail Mix Race #5
- Raven Rocks Run 10k Trail Race (Nov) – Trail Mix Race #6
In addition, we support and attend many other local trail (and a few road) races, including but not limited to:
- The Running Goddess 5k trail race at Lasdon Park in Somers, NY
- Where the Wild Things Run 5k Trail Race at Woodcock Nature Center, Ridgefield CT
- Rockwood Ramble 10k Trail Race at Rockefeller State Park Preserve, Sleepy Hollow, NY
- Church Tavern Biathlon 7mi bike/4mi road race in South Salem, NY
- Mt Kisco 5k road race in Mt. Kisco, NY
- Paine to Pain Half Marathon Trail Race in New Rochelle, NY
- After the Leaves Have Fallen Half Marathon Trail Race in Minnewaska State Park Preserve, Gardiner, NY
- There are MANY MORE trail races at this always updated list: http://sundayruns.org/races/
(Note: this went out as an email to all registered runners for the 2015 Raven Rocks Run. If you did not receive it via email and you are registered, you may want to check your spam folder and set up email@example.com on your address book/white list.)